You are here: Surferz World // Tools // Installing Multiple Versions of Opera in Ubuntu

Installing Multiple Versions of Opera in Ubuntu

What is your preferred browser? For me, it’s Opera. Opera browser is my default web browser & mail client. I always surf with beta & snapshot versions of Opera, but I don’t remove the stable version. I use Snapshot versions of Opera to surf & report bugs. Hope you know, I have already posted a tutorial about Installing Firefox and Thunderbird in Ubuntu. Let’s see how to install Opera beta / snapshot versions without conflict your installed stable version.

Tutorial: how to install beta version of Opera along with stable version? / Installing Multiple Versions of Opera in Ubuntu

• Download Opera & install it on your computer. FYI, Ubuntu Debian package format is available for both 32 & 64 bit architecture .
  • Simple double click the .deb package file will lead you to the installation process.

Now, your Stable version is ready. Let’s come to the beta version. Opera 11 beta is a test version that gives you a preview of the great things to come in the next major release. It is recommended that you back up your current Opera installation before installing this version. For more info, please visit Backing up Opera.

• Go here to download the beta version. This time, instead of picking the debian version, download tar.bz2 or tar.gz package format. Save that file straight in your personal folder; do not keep it on your desktop or in the downloads. This will simplify the terminal commands that you are going to execute soon. For example, user charles should not leave the file in /home/charles/Desktop or in /home/charles/Downloads, but should save it in /home/charles
  • Right click & Extract the Opera tar.bz2 file. For this tutorial, I use Opera 11 beta1 version.
  • Rename it as Opera11. It helps us to simplify our terminal commands.
  • Goto the terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and execute the following commands,

sudo mv ~/opera11 /opt

This command will move the opera11 folder to the /opt directory.

Execute the following command,

sudo /opt/opera11/install

The above command will prompt you to the installation process. It’s good to accept the recommended location, prefix and all, by simply pressing Enter Key.

Now, Opera beta version is successfully installed in the /usr/local/bin/ directory. Please refer the installation screenshots below.

Ref:Screenshot:Opera Installation Process

Opera’s install script will create a opera-beta launcher (or *.desktop file). The launcher will be added inside the Applications -> Internet menu.
That’s it. Now, you can have your Opera stable and beta versions together. This will use the same profile which is inside ~/.opera.

Important: Creating separate profile for your Opera versions (Recommended)

In-case, if you’d like to create separate profile for Opera beta while installing, Follow the same steps above until you move opera11 folder to /opt directory & execute the below command,

sudo /opt/opera11/install –system –unattended –suffix beta

It will use ~/.opera-beta as its profile and be installed under /usr/local/bin

The above command is suggested by Ruario. A big thanks to him. Earlier I prefer to use,

opera -personaldir /home/UserName/.opera-beta

command to create a separate profile while making the Launcher. And of course, thanks for his suggestion which helps many surferz.

By this way, you can keep different profiles for different versions. So, you do not spoil your existing stable profile while experimenting. ;) Hmm, I know you said you don’t use Opera. Come on Surferz! Trust me, Opera is the world’s most secure browser. Download different versions of Opera here,

Opera Stable for your computer & mobile

Opera beta

Opera Snapshot: New builds are posted frequently at the Desktop Team blog

I hope this tutorial helps you much. Let me know your results by commenting here. Happy Surfing with Opera! :)Go here to download the

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to " Installing Multiple Versions of Opera in Ubuntu "

1. Thanks for the info Charles. If I have a technical issue with technology I know you are the one to call. Right now I use Firefox and am pretty happy with it. There seems to be a lot more browsers coming into the market.

2. June Stoyer says:

This is a great overview. I have been told to use Ubuntu for a while now and definitely am going to check it out. Thanks again!
    June Stoyer recently posted..Nominate and Vote For Your Favorite Charity!

3. ruario says:

This will cause both to use the same profile directory. I suggest you set the suffix to beta so that they use different profiles or you have a high chance or corrupting your stable profile.

I also don’t see the point of moving the install to /opt first. It gives no advantage.

• Charles Richard says:

Thanks for your suggestion. I updated this tutorial with your suggestion. And also, moving to /opt is helpful for some surferz like me, because I often use minimum 3 versions of Opera with 4 different profiles. So, I no need to download the package again.

4. ruario says:

The opera-beta “launcher” (or *.desktop file) will be created by the install script for you. Next Opera in the Network section of your applications menu. You don’t need to create your own. If you don’t see it at first lout out and back into your account and it should appear.

5. ruario says:

“And also, moving to /opt is helpful for some surferz like me, because I often use minimum 3 versions of Opera with 4 different profiles. ”

You still don’t need /opt. You can just install each with a different suffix. Use the build number if you want something unique.

You can have as many side by side installs as you like. I have hundreds of builds of Opera on my machine. Many are simply unpacked and run in place but I also have quite a few installs. In case you think I exaggerate I should explain that I an Opera employee working in the UNIX team as a tester/QA. I have lots of old internal versions as it help me track down regressions when they happen.

• Charles Richard says:

I think, keeping an extracted opera package inside /opt will not bring anything harmful. ;) It’s just a backup solution. Yep, I know you are an Opera employee. I hope you notice I’ve already mentioned your profile & suggestions in my tutorial. In-case, if you missed it check out again. Thanks for commenting here.

6. I’m not sure I understood anything I just read, but I guess that makes you the surfer-guru not me :)

7. Thanks — this is awesome and helpful.

8. I used Ubuntu it was not bad at all, actually i have firefox it is going with my needs :)

9. Qhiro says:

Thanks! Good tutorial. It also helped me renaming existing opera istallation.

When trying to do “sudo /opt/opera11/install –system –unattended –suffix” I got the information “–suffix S Obsolete. Same as –name opera-S.” So I tried “sudo /opt/opera11/install –system –unattended –name opera-11″ which worked perfectly for me.

I had to do this because the automatic software update option failed :(

• Charles Richard says:

BTW, opera-S supposed to work. Please verify your installation. It will create opera-opera-S launcher too.

10. Baz says:

ruario,

I’d be the first to admit that I’m not the brightest button on the blazer (and also a relative newcomer to Linux) but, although I managed to have two entirely separate versions of Opera on a previous edition of Linux (Zorin), I can’t manage it now.

I’m at the stage of both being open at the moment but there is no indication on my desktop (or “Internet” under GnoMenu) that there is more than one copy. So if I close the one I’ve called opera-12 I won’t be able to simply open it from my desktop or GnoMenu.

Any idea where I’ve gone wrong and/or how to resolve the problem?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Baz

• Charles Richard says:

Dear Baz:
      Could you please share your linux distro information and how did you install Opera from which packages(.deb,.tar,)? It looks like you have problem with the launcher. Kindly give me further details.

11. Baz says:

Charles,

It looks like I was panicking unnecessarily as I eventually cleared down out of frustration and both versions of Opera were available when I rebooted so I now have a big smile on my face.

For information my Linux distribution is Zorin 5 (which I know is no longer supported) and I installed Opera from a .deb and then a .tarbz2 package. I intend installing Zorin 6 in the near future and will hopefully have no problems installing two versions of Opera.

I wholly concur with your view that Opera is easily the best browser and I have converted several of my friends to its charms!

Thanks for your help,

Baz

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] the original: Installing Multiple Versions of Opera in Ubuntu | Surferz World Рубрика: Разные рубрики | Метки: always-surf, default, default-web, [...]